Friday, November 25, 2011

Start a New Holiday Tradition!

Start a new Holiday Tradition: Celebrate St. Nicholas Day! Did you know that the tradition of hanging up stockings at Christmas time originated with Saint Nicholas? Legend has it that Saint Nicholas was known to throw small bags of gold coins into the open windows of poor homes. One of those bags of gold landed in a child's stocking and soon news of the event got around. St. Nicholas was from Greece and December 6th commemorates his life. He gave up his belongings and gave to the needy especially children. Modern times have changed things a bit: I attended a small private college in Wisconsin and there it was a tradition to put your shoes in the hallway (I lived in the dorm) on December 6 to see if St. Nick would visit-sometimes we would be given candy in our shoes. I thought it might be fun to start this tradition with my children this year (plus their Halloween candy buzz is almost worn off). I created some fun candy treats to tuck in their boots & shoes. The long candy tubes will look enticing and fun sticking out of their boots I think! I might even tuck one in my husband's lunch tote.
Posted Image
I used several dies to cut out toppers for the candy packages, BoBunny Christmas Papers, and Maya Road chipboard snowflakes colored with Ranger distress inks and Colorbox cat eye inks. 

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Stickles glitter on embossed images really make them sparkle!
Posted Image
Gold metalic Colorbox Cateye ink on edges of Santa hat make it shine a tiny bit. SRM candy tubes (totally cool!!)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Supplies:
Patterned Papers: BoBunny
Ribbons: from my stash (use up some leftovers!!)
Pins, Chipboard shapes & Bingo Marker: Maya Road
Flower:Prima
Inks & Mists: Colorbox (Gold, Silver, Red), Tattered Angels,Ranger (distress ink & stain)
Plastic tubes:SRM
Dies: Sizzix (Top Note) & Spellbinders
Punch: Fiskars scallop circle 

No comments: